Thursday 14 March 2013

Evaluation Q2.

Here is the text for my second evaluation question, I will be uploading the multimedia version of this evaluation shortly.


How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts?

Role and purpose of music video
Music videos represent a very important part of the music industry. Many artists owe their careers to their music videos. Music videos have become a venue where music artist is given a chance to impress the public not just with their vocal talent but also with their looks, costumes and dance routines. Modern music videos are primarily made and used as a marketing device intended to promote the sale of music recordings.

Role and purpose of Digipak
Digipak’s typically consist of a gatefold (book-style) paperboard or card stock outer binding, with one or more plastic trays capable of holding a CD or DVD attached to the inside. Digipak-style packaging is often used for CD singles or special editions of CD albums. The Digipak helps to maintain the artist’s image as well as being a professional piece including important information such as track list, record labels etc. Digipak's are also useful for fans of bands/artists who want something important or memorable linking to the band, rather than just downloading the songs off iTunes or the internet. 

Role and Purpose of Magazine Advert
The role of advertising in magazines and other print media is to appeal to and attract a wider audience and therefore promote the bands/artists album further increasing the sales and popularity of it, enabling them to have greater success in the music industry.

When identifying the roles and purposes of my video, I wanted my video to assist in the audience’s ability to escape their own lives and become a part of my artists. I did this by creating the narrative in my video of the break up between the male and female characters, I believe that the visuals in my video show this but audiences have to watch the video more than once to understand what is happening between the two characters.
With regards to the ancillary texts, which are my CD digipak and my magazine advert, I decided that they both had to have a common theme between them, which were the images I used for them of sandcastles, a direct metaphor of the title of the album ‘every kingdom’ This again is in a way ‘a hidden message’ That the audience would have to think about and really consider in order to understand the significance of the sand castles.

I think that the role of my main product and ancillary texts is very effective, my music video promotes the song showcasing  artists voice whilst also drawing attention and interest both from current fans and new audiences who will become fans, this is because of the interesting narrative element of the vide as well as the performance as well. My digipak is very personal to the artist including a letter to the fans thanking them for their continued support, therefore attracting fans to purchase it as they feel as if the artist is speaking directly to them. The magazine advert is effective as it showcases Ben Howard and introduces his debut album and lets fans know when and where they can buy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment